José A. Navarro
FollowingUnfollow


0 422      

Contact information and description


Telephone:
Fax:
Mobile phone:
Plaza Duquesa de Parcent 3,
29400 Ronda, Málaga, España
Website:

The Church of Santa Maria la Mayor of Ronda was elevated to the status of a collegiate by King Fernando el Católico, was built over the ancient mosque of the city, the work of the thirteenth century still preserved remains of the mihrab.

The start of construction of this church due to take place very soon after the reconquest of the city in 1486 by Christian forces, and there are two different architectural styles, according to the different stages through the execution happened to him Throughout the more than two centuries lasting works.

So the first part belonging to the Gothic, is basically at the foot of the temple and mark the final shape of the church. This consists of three ships separated by arches resting on pillars of capital fasciculate run. They are very open arches forming a spacious and open plan interrupted only by the body of the chorus in the center of the church, equipped with wooden chairs carved with figures of saints in the backs and great lectern in the center. This part was initially covered with wood paneling, but currently has on scallops hemispherical domes decorated with cartouches, seventeenth century work.

The second part or modern part corresponds to the head of the church and replaces the existing previously destroyed by an earthquake in 1580. This circumstance made it possible for its reconstruction is carried out with a new configuration is more monumental and now in Mannerist style, and even earn high with respect to the Gothic part in a series of works that did not end until about 1720.

The new work continues the pattern of old, with a plan of union in the past Gothic pillars to which they are coupled to others with high base fluted columns that you first pick up a simple shield imperial triumphal arch in the key and then continue ending up with beautiful Corinthian capitals to give an entablature with decorated frieze and cornice brackets very flown.

The altar has an altarpiece of the late eighteenth century in wood and unpainted balustraded columns that are topped with a lantern.