José A. Navarro

0 528      

Contact information and description

Mobile phone:
Calle de Santa Clara 10 A,
49003 Zamora, Zamora, España

The Church of Santiago del Burgo is a basilica with three ships in four sections with flat head with three apses. The nave, of great height, is covered with a barrel vault and the two cross-vaulted side, separated from each other by arches resting on pillars to which are attached half columns. The capitals are mainly existing vegetation type, although some are historians as the struggle of David with a slingshot, Samson and the lion and dragon bird pecking at grapes and several knights.

At the head three chapels are arranged corresponding to the apses and attached to the side walls are stone burial niches in the same dating of the church.

The building has three doorways. The western gable, closed, consists of three segments archivolts lobed. Above it is a wagon wheel rose window. The North is composed of four segments archivolts pillow and finally, the south portal, the most peculiar, has three archivolts aboceladas resting on three columns on each side with Corinthian capitals outlined and two twin arches of half point at its intersection is a pendant. The tympanum is drawn is plain, without decoration. On this door lies a rosette with double lattice with six hexagons surrounding a circle.

The church has a square tower located at the southwest corner, smooth until it reaches the bell openings.

Although its construction began in the second half of the twelfth century, was not completed until the thirteenth. The most recent major improvement was made in the nineteenth century as a result of repairs carried out before the collapse of several vaults. In the second half of the twentieth century attached buildings were demolished, leaving it free as it is today. Until 1888 has belonged to the diocese of Santiago de Compostela, so named for Santiago. It was built in contemporary epoch to the Cathedral, at the time, in a neighborhood called El Burgo (hence Santiago del Burgo) in a widening of the walled city and is unique in that it is the only church in Zamora that preserves the original layout of the ships, two heights.

It is a National Monument since 1915.

Located at the heart of the current Zamora, Santa Clara Street.